I am posting a photo of a blanket I finally finished at the end of February. I had been waiting for a sunny day to take the photo. Ignore that little glare of sun in the lower right corner.
I can't believe that I lost three months of my life on this, although I am happy to have done it. George so often finds blankets excessively heavy and when I saw this light merino wool and camel hair brushed yarn I immediately thought of a blanket. For the life of me I cannot remember the name of the yarn; I am not good about keeping that kind of record, perhaps a good reason to keep a knitting log. Due to constraints of colors available and timing, as I naively thought this could be a Christmas present, (I saw the yarn 1 week before Thanksgiving), I knitted individual squares which I planned to join in strips. It still took me too long and I pretty much put most of my life on hold to knit this. Most of the strips were knitted by Christmas but I hadn't joined them together yet. I ran out of the main yarn and used the original border yarn to double crochet the squares into strips and then together. On Christmas day it was arrayed on the floor but not fully assembled yet and I needed to purchase new border yarn as I was rapidly running out of the supply.
It is big enough for both of us on a queen size bed, roughly 88 x 92 inches. I would never have finished if I had to knit 84 inch long rows, but in planning I forget to think about how I would put it together. Sitting on the floor and crochetting, then weaving in ends, then sewing on the border was endless tedium. In fact knitting a 2 inch wide border was not fascinating either, I looked forward to the corners and that little bit of shaping provided by the miter.
In the end, I love the blanket, it is beautiful and warm and light and just invites snuggling. George thinks it is gorgeous which is gratifying except that he wanted to leave it on the floor so that everyone can see it. No way I want people traipsing over this lovingly but loosely knit blanket.