Well, Shanghai is a bust.
I finished the body, and it fit beautifully, but I somehow did not like it on. I like the knitted fabric and I knew the colors weren't my best but thought I could make it work, but somehow, when I put it on it was worse than blah, it was just plain old "yuck".
Not the shape, mind you. If I could just look at the sweater without the added bonus of the complexion of the person wearing it, the sweater was quite nice. And no, I am not going to show it to you. It is destined for ripping.
I kind of fudged the armhole shaping, decreasing more in front and less in back, then increasing a bit back out to the shoulder at the neckline. I also added vertical bust darts and some bust shaping using short rows and the fit was really really nice. Luckily I did make notes. So I can think about this sweater much like I would think of a muslin if I were sewing something. But a knitted muslin takes longer. Bummer.
My first reaction was to ditch the whole thing, but I do still like the yarn. Tonight, while I was working on my new project (which I love by the way) I had another idea, which might actually work quite nicely. It will be a little further down the queue. Shanghai and I need to take a little break from each other's company for a while.