Apparently I never posted the first improvised toe-up sock. For Shame. In fact, they were still languishing in the bottom of my knitting bag, never even worn. Double Shame.
These were finished in February. And now that I've discovered them again, I've also discovered that I did post them on my general blog, but I never linked that post back here. And I never added them to Ravelry. Those omissions have been hereby been rectified.
Again, I can't identify the yarn, although I am certain that I intended to save that information. I know they are mostly cotton with just a touch of wool, a yarn my mom bought hoping to knit socks for herself, before discovering that they had just enough wool that she couldn't knit with the yarn, much less wear the finished product.
I had a little trouble the first time around with these, the shaping was slightly different at the toes, than when I knit top down. It is possible that, had I consulted a pattern, the process might have been easier, but I was in the mood to just knit to fit and see how things went. The result was a few miscalculations and some practice ripping out and reknitting. In the end they are acceptable. They are a little loose around the heel. I changed the number of short rows in the second pair, the two halves are not symmetrical, and if you look closely you may be able to see that in the photo. Then again you may not. On me this modification truly enhanced the fit, but whether that is completely due to my modifications or the higher wool content of the yarn in the second pair I really can't say.
These socks are nice. But I really prefer wool, which somehow manage to always be warm enough without being too warm or too damp no matter what the weather.